Neotropical Butterflies

Welcome! Bienvenidos! This forum is for photo ID's and general discussions thereof. Se habla Espanol. Please see Introductions for how to submit your photos. To register for an account, please send an email to kimgrwd@sbcglobal.net.
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Two Lycaenids + a Hesperiidae
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:21 am 

Hi my name is JP. I am new to the forum and would appreciate some assistance on a few butterflies from my visit to Paraguay this year. I am currently doing an inventory on the lepidoptera of Laguna Blanca (Cerrado, dry forest and atlantic forest) in the North-East of the country.

Firstly two Lycaenidae : The first is a cerrado species Bistonina mantica. I would like to know what its status is within the cerrado of Brazil? The second i am guessing is in the genus Theclopsis. It was found on the edge of the dry forest/cerrado. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Secondly, I think the Hesperiidae is Telemiades laogonus? i cant find any in situ shots of this species, only museum specimens, so some help would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments:
File comment: Telemiades laogonus??
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG [ 496.9 KB | Viewed 776 times ]
File comment: Theclopsis species ??
IMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG [ 375.77 KB | Viewed 774 times ]
File comment: Bistonina mantica
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG [ 259.22 KB | Viewed 772 times ]

Post subject: Re: Two Lycaenids + a Hesperiidae
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:30 pm 

Hola JP: You could be right. T. laogonus female. It also might be T. avitus female. Hope someone else chimes in. Saludos Ricardo PS I hope to visit Paraguay in 2014.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:42 am 

Gracias Ricardo. I appreciate your quick response. I have another picture of a different individual of the Telemiades. The reason i went towards T.laogonus was the shape of the hindwing, but i have limited resources to go by, so your help is great. I should be in Paraguay at the end of 2013/2014. We should definitely arrange something closer to the time.

Attachments:
IMG_4363.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG [ 398.3 KB | Viewed 739 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:40 am 

Hola JP: Both T. avitus and laogonus females have scalloped hindwings. Both your Telemides shots could certainly be laogonus. Saludos Ricardo PS Havent done any plaaning for 2014 yet. But perhaps we can get together. Please send me your e-mail address.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:37 pm 

Thank you for the information Ricardo. My email is jpbrouard@yahoo.com. I think there are a few exciting discoveries to be made in certain parts of Paraguay (Chaco, Cerrado) so it would be great to organise a trip closer to the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:40 pm 

Hola JP: I have been looking at your T. laogonus some more and have come to the conclusion that it is a subspecies, T.l.nicola; I dont know which gender is. Saludos Ricardo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:52 am 

Gracias Ricardo. Thank you for your response and your help. I only saw these two specimens in 2 months at Laguna Blanca. They were rare and elusive. Im happy we have come to a conclusion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 am 
Site Admin

I wonder if your 2nd hairstreak could be Strymon tegaea? Very different looking. I really like your Telemiades laogonus also, both new ones for me.
thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:03 pm 

Hi Kim, thank you for the response. The second hairstreak is Bistonina mantica. Also a cerrado species like Strymon tegaea. I was trying to find out the status of the species in Brazil for that one :) Have you got any clue on a genus for the first hairstreak? I unfortunately have only that picture, so its hard to determine.

I appreciate your time
JP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, I was confused. You're right on the Bistonia. I can't help you on the first one either, these grey ones are some of the toughest.
thanks,
k