Neotropical Butterflies

Welcome! Bienvenidos! This forum is for photo ID's and general discussions thereof. Se habla Espanol. Please see Introductions for how to submit your photos. To register for an account, please send an email to kimgrwd@sbcglobal.net.
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Butterflies of the Cali area
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:05 pm 

Most grateful for several IDs and suggestions from images taken last year.

Hoping to go back to the area some time this year (work-related travel). Wondered whether anyone can recommend sources of suitable field guide(s) that won't break the bank? Someone sent me a list last year of several Colombia-published titles, but I was unable to track down any of them either via the Internet or in Cali bookshops :-(

Much as the online resources are great, for me there's nothing better than being able to ID the beast while still watching it :-)

Many thanks,

Guy

Post subject: Re: Butterflies of the Cali area
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guy,

Sorry, I'm not aware of any Colombia books you can get online. I know of a very fancy series being done by Jean Francois Le Crom, but they are expensive, $US150/volume. I have the first 2, 1 on Papilioniae and #2 on Pieridae (of course). I don't know if they have done any more. I bought mine from a grad student from Colombia at the McGuire Center in Gainesville, FL. A very nice little book, which I believe is out of print, is Mariposas Comunes de la Cordillera Central de Colombia, but I haven't been able to find it in Colombia either. If you get any information on books, or lists of butterflies for the area, please let me know. Also, if you get any good photos, please let me know. I eventually hope to do a book on Andean butterflies, and will be spending more and more time in Colombia. I've been twice in the last year and really liked it, haven't made it to Cali yet.
Have a good trip,
kim

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:50 pm 

Kim wrote:
Hi Guy,

I have the first 2, 1 on Papilioniae and #2 on Pieridae (of course). I don't know if they have done any more.

Hi Kim,
I think Jean Fran├žois is planning to publish more volumes of the series, and I have notices that he is working on Ithomiinae now. I coauthored the genus Catasticta in volume #2, so your .... (of course) in the message lets me suppose you are especially interested to Pieridae. Is it true?

Bye

Maurizio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Maurizio,

Sorry to take so long to reply to your question about my interest in Pierids, for some reason I just ran into your post. Wow, I'm impressed, you know the Catastica! That's a really tough group for me using photos of ventrals, at times they seem almost impossible to id. When I put (of course) in the earlier post I meant that always seems to be the first 2 groups everyone does, when they do a series (paps and pierids). I'm hoping they keep on going and do more of the other families as well. I'm thrilled to hear he's working on Ithomiinae, that's another difficult group.

Maybe you can help me out w/some id's on Catastica, especially in places like Peru. I've been told there are 59 species in Peru. I'm going to be in Ecuador in Oct/Nov 2009, and hope to get back to Colombia next Aug/Sept 2010. So I may get more Catastica photos.

Thanks, and sorry again for taking so long to respond,
k