Neotropical Butterflies

Welcome! Bienvenidos! This forum is for photo ID's and general discussions thereof. Se habla Espanol. Please see Introductions for how to submit your photos. To register for an account, please send an email to kimgrwd@sbcglobal.net.
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Skippers On Web-site
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:13 pm 

Hi Adrian: Just tried to send you an e-mail but it didnt work. I have a few IDs and corrections for you on some of the skippers on your web site. Ricardo

Post subject: Re: Skippers On Web-site
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:31 pm 

Hi Ricardo

Not sure why you can't get though on e-mail, please post your comments here, quoting the names or reference numbers I have used on my website.

many thanks
Adrian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:36 pm 

I forwarded the message w/o using "uk" at the end of ".com" Did it work. If not Ill put the info on your message. Think several on you web-ste have been posted again on the Fourm. Ricardo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:56 pm 

Hi Ricardo

Easiest way to send messages to me is to click on "contact me" on the home page of my website :

http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com

I you find any mis-identified skippers please let me know

All the best
Adrian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:37 pm 

Adrian: "Thracides nana" is a different false-flasher, Neoxeniades bajula, in my opinion. Ricardo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:36 pm 

Thanks Ricardo, I've amended my records and website to show Neoxeniades bajula instead of Thracides nanea.

Adrian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:24 pm 

Sorry, but having trouble contacting you on your web-site ("senior moments"). Im not convinced that your Jemadia species on the web is sosia. I only have a specimen shot from the Museum Of Natural History in Lima to go by, which doesnt show very pronouced white striping close to the thorax and abdomen. It looks more like J. hewitsonii to me. Do you have a better source of information? I could be wrong. Ricardo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:19 pm 

Hi Ricardo

My source for Jemadia determinations is Seitz Macrolepidoptera of the World. My copy has been annotated by a previous owner who studied the collection in the British Museum.

The Jemadia plate shows 2 specimens labelled gnetus, that have been annotated following examination of museum specimens to indicate that the illustrations are actually of sosia.

I decided that these illustrations were closer to my "sosia" than anything else, on the basis of the shape and configuration of the hyaline areas. However following your remarks I have re-examined the plates. The specimen labelled hewitsonii by Seitz looks completely different from my butterfly. However there is another specimen which looks very much like my butterfly in respect of the hyaline areas, which Seitz has labelled lecerfi. Lamas lists lecerfi as a junior synonym of hewitsonii.

The wing shape at the tornus of this insect very closely matches my butterfly, although the hindwing pattern much more closely resembles sosia.

Taking all the above into account I can accept that my determination as sosia may be in error, and the butterfly may be hewitsonii / lecerfi. The distribution maps of hewitsonii ( on Funet ) indicate that it does not penetrate as far south as southern Peru, but I have recorded it at Rio Cristalino in Brazil which is not much further north.

Could you post your image of sosia from the Lima museum on the forum, as I'd like to see it before making a final decision about my butterfly's identity ?

Thanks
Adrian