Neotropical Butterflies

Welcome! Bienvenidos! This forum is for photo ID's and general discussions thereof. Se habla Espanol. Please see Introductions for how to submit your photos. To register for an account, please send an email to kimgrwd@sbcglobal.net.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Morpho Peleides vs Morpho Montezuma
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:24 pm 

Hello! I'm new in this and it is the first time that I enter a forum, not only I love the butterflies, also the moths and the beetles too!

My name is Erick Galvez Ruiz, a student who study in a university, I'm in Lic. of Biology in 5o Semester. I'm living in Cd. Victoria, Tamaulipas.

I have a question: what is the difference about Morpho Peleides Hyacinthus and Morpho Helenor Montezuma?

I discovered a new place wheren it passes the butterfly Morpho! Is in the Cañon Calamaco and I speaked with my dear professor Jesus Garcia, he said to me that any registry does not exist on this! 8D I catched one from the Cañon Calamaco and Jesus Garcia wants to catch one too! haha

Here the photo of my Morpho Peleides Hyacinthus and Morpho Helenor Montezuma

Attachments:
dos morhos.jpg
dos morhos.jpg [ 207.06 KB | Viewed 1565 times ]

Post subject: Re: Morpho Peleides vs Morpho Montezuma
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, Erick. I think the 2 names are the same species. Morpho peleides hyacinthus is the old name, and Gerardo Lamas made it a junior synonym of Morpho helenor montezuma in his 2004 Atlas of Neotropical Lepidoptera. I think there is only one blue morpho in Mexico, and the current name is M. helenor. There are several subspecies in Mexico, but helenor montezuma is the only blue one in east Mexico. The other subspecies are in southwest Mexico. In english we call it Common Morpho.
For a good list of Mexican species, and through Central America, look at the website www.butterfliesofamerica.com.
thanks,
kim