Neotropical Butterflies

Welcome! Bienvenidos! This forum is for photo ID's and general discussions thereof. Se habla Espanol. Please see Introductions for how to submit your photos. To register for an account, please send an email to kimgrwd@sbcglobal.net.
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Redring
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:18 pm 

This Redring was photographed on the pacific slope of the Sierra de Atoyac, at perhaps 1000 meters.

Attachments:
Atoyac-2.jpg
Atoyac-2.jpg [ 77.35 KB | Viewed 394 times ]

Post subject: Re: Redring
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:50 am 
Site Admin

What state in Mexico was this taken, please? I don't know the mountain range. I have a terrible time w/these Pyrrhogyras. There are only 3 species in Mexico, which makes it easier than South America where there are a couple more. Based on the pointed wing shape I would say Pyrrhogyra edocla, which some call Green-spotted Banner. I'm not fond of that common name, as it doesn't look green to me. I would probably call it Edocla Banner, or some even call the genus Redring, but that's confusing too.

Please send it to me also. Thanks,
k

Post subject: Atoyac
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:04 am 

The Sierra de Atoyac is in Guerrero, just N/NW of Acapulco. As usual a good place for birds, with the highly restricted range White-throated Jay and Short-crested Coquette (of which we found both!)

Although it does not show very well after the scanning, this individual does have a greenish tinge to the spots on the forewing, so the name isn't really misleading although perhaps not very good either.

/Sammy